HENRY K. ADERTON, whose biography is here presented, was born in Troy, Lincoln County, Mo., March 22, 1835, and in his journey through life has won high esteem from all who know him. He has always evinced great interest in the welfare of his country, giving his services gladly in the time of danger. He is generally recognized as a wide-awake, enterprising man, ready to embrace every passing opportunity to improve the community in which he resides.
Mr. Aderton's father Marcus L. Aderton, was born in Charles County, Md., and there received his education and grew to manhood. He learned the trade of a carpenter, and after going to Lincoln County, Mo., worked at this business most successfully, building the first house at Capidegris, that county, and undoubtedly possessing great skill. At a later date he engaged in the grocery business at Troy, afterwards moving to Tuxton, where he entered the dry-goods business. In 1844, he moved to Calhoun County, locating in Point Precinct, where he let land and turned his attention to farming. His property was covered with heavy timber that he soon converted into staves, logs etc., the lumber business being the chief enterprise in those days. His farm was situated one and one-half miles northwest of Brussels, and he resided there up to the time of his death in 1865. He married Miss Matilda A. Ruland, a native of Pennsylvania, and the daughter of Isaac and Matilda (Nicholas) Ruland. Her death occurred at the home of our subject, January 1, 1888. She was the mother of ten children, nine of whom grew to maturity.
The subject of our sketch was nine years of age when he came with his parents to Calhoun County. He passed his youth on his father's farm, continuing to live with his parents up to the time of his marriage, when he settled on a part of the home farm. He was married October 7, 1858, to Miss Amelia J. Gilbert, whose birth occurred in the State of Indiana. Their marriage has been blessed with eight children, three of whom are living: viz., Henry M., married Miss Lizzie E. Douglas, and has two children, viz., Joseph L. and Gilbert K; Mary A., who married T. J. Sperry and resides at Helena, Mont., is the mother of one child — Lyman; Emma J., who resides with her parents.
Mr. Aderton enlisted August 12, 1862, in Company C, Ninety-seventh Illinois Infantry and served faithfully until May 30, 1865. He figured in a number of important engagements, among which were the battle of Champion Hills; siege and capture of Vicksburg, and Ft. Blakely. He was severely injured in a railroad collision during the war, that has since resulted in paralysis of the lower limbs and he now draws a pension of $72 per month. He was honorably discharged on May 30, 1865, for physical disability, and immediately returned home to devote his attention to farming once more. He resided on his first farm up to 1887 and then bought property and now lives retired from active work in Batchtown. He is a member of Calhoun Post, No. 448, G. A. R., and both he and his wife belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church. A view of his pleasant home will be found elsewhere in this volume.
Extracted 16 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, page 628
|St Charles MO|