JAMES EARLEY. He whose name heads this sketch is one of the prominent and influential citizens of Batchtown, Calhoun County, and was born on a farm about six miles from Troy, Lincoln County, Mo., April 6, 1843. Mr. Earley's father, John Earley, was also born in Lincoln County, Mo., and his grandfather, James Earley, was a native of Virginia. One of his ancestors several times removed came from Ireland, where he was born, to America during the Colonial times, settling in the State of Virginia. Our subject's grandfather removed from Virginia to the Territory of Missouri, being among the pioneers of Lincoln County, where he lived and in company with his son engaged in agricultural pursuits. Mr. Earley's mother was previous to her marriage Miss Mary Holcomb. She is a native of Kentucky, and since sustaining the sad loss of her beloved husband has made her home with her eight children.
The subject of our sketch passed his youth on a farm, receiving a common-school education, though the schools of those days were of a decidedly primitive nature and gave no promise of reaching their present state of excellence. He made his home with his parents up to the time of his marriage, and then commenced life for himself as a farmer. He rented land in Hardin, Richwoods and Gilead Precincts, and finally purchased a farm in Richwoods Precinct. He continued to live there until 1887, at which time he sold his property and commenced clerking in the establishment of Gussten & White at Patchtown.
Mr. Earley was married in 1866 to Mrs. Nancy A. (Turner) Ragsdale. Their marriage has been blessed with three children, viz: Alma Lee; John A., who is a student in the State University at Champaign, Ill.; and James W. The family belong to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. Earley has labored faithfully and well, and has been rewarded by the financial successes that have attended his investments and also by the hearty goodwill of all who know him.
Extracted 23 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, pages 761-762
|St Charles MO|