Among the many industrious and reliable men who are gaining a maintenance by
tilling a portion of the soil of Calhoun County, is Paul Godar, whose land is
favorably located on section 11, Hardin Precinct. Mr. Godar is quite an old
settler, his residence in the county extending over a period of nearly forty
years, during which he has witnessed great changes in the appearance of the
country, a large increase in population and a corresponding increase in the
appliances of civilized life. He has borne his part manfully in the duties that
were presented to him as a public citizen and a private individual, and it
affords his many friends great pleasure to know that he is meeting with success
in his chosen vocation.
Our subject is the second son born to John and Magdalene Godar, and opened his eyes to the light of day November 1, 1838, in the romantic land of Switzerland. He received what might be called a preliminary education, pursuing his studies in the French language, which was that of his fathers, and by persistent reading has added much knowledge to the foundation obtained in school. He now has a fair understanding of the English language, which he has gained since he came to America.
In 1853 our subject, accompanied by his mother and other members of the family, his father having died several years before, took passage at Havre on a sailing vessel and after a tedious voyage of almost two months, disembarked at New Orleans, whence they came up the river to a point not far from St. Louis, Mo. After sojourning there about a twelve-month, they came on to Calhoun County, Ill., where they were living when our subject attained to his majority. A few years later he took to himself a wife in the person of Mary Dejerlia, with whom his marriage rites were celebrated October 1, 1863. Mrs. Godar is a daughter of Anton and Virginia Dejerlia, formerly residents in Hardin Precinct, who are now deceased.
The present landed estate of our subject comprises eighty broad and fertile acres, which under his intelligent and careful handling yield abundantly of the cereals which are sown thereon, the crops being excellent in quality as well. The land has been supplied with all needed improvements and everything is kept up in good shape. Mrs. Godar also owns a considerable amount of land, which is operated by her husband. As a School Director Mr. Godar has been serving for a number of years in an earnest and efficient manner. Realizing the value of education and of modern improvements, he takes a part in the projects which will promulgate a better understanding or higher life among the citizens, and is recognized as a man of public spirit, intelligence and good character. His religious membership is in the Roman Catholic Church and his political adherence is given to the Democratic party.
To Mr. and Mrs. Godar ten sons and daughters have come, but they have been called upon to part with the youngest, Frederick. Those who are still living bear the respective names of Paul Francis, William D., Benjamin F., Dorathy Alice, James Edward, Clara R., Lucy E., Julia E., and John Alfred. They have received as thorough educations as circumstances would admit of and been taught ways of thrift and prudence.
Extracted 08 Dec 2016 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, pages 202-205.
|St Charles MO|