GEORGE P. GRAFF, M.D. This gentleman is one of the most successful practitioners in Calhoun County, his office being located in Brussels, and his professional duties taking him some distance from that town. Although a native-born American, he is of foreign extraction and has himself spent considerable time abroad, attending one of the famous universities. His mind has been cultured to a more than ordinary degree, and his years from boyhood have been spent in well-directed and persistent efforts to accumulate a good estate and make a mark in the world in the business which he had in hand.
The father of our subject was Michael Graff, who was born in Alsace, Germany, in which province the ancestors, so far back as their history is known, resided. He and four other members of his parents' household eventually came to America, the names of those who emigrated being Henry, Sarah, Barbara, Michael and Dora. Michael Graff had learned the trade of a weaver and operated a hand loom. After his marriage he crossed the ocean, locating in Rochester, N. Y., where he and his good wife, formerly Barbara Miller, spent their last years. In that city our subject was born April 23, 1836. He was but twelve years old when he left home, going to Chicago, where he entered a drug-store. He was employed therein until 1852, when he went to Strasburg, France, now in Germany, and entered the university.
After spending some time in assiduous pursuit of knowledge, young Graff returned to America and resumed the labor of a clerk in Chicago, continuing it until 1857, when he engaged in business for himself on Clark Street. He carried on his drug-store until 1861, when he sold out and went to Nashville, Tenn., but soon returned to the Garden City. He did not engage in any particular business, but speculated somewhat in grain and produce until 1863. In 1865 he went to St. Louis and engaged as a drug clerk in the house of J. S. Merrill. In 1866 he came to Brussels and began the practice of his profession, and has now been living a professional life for almost a quarter of a century. His reputation extends over a considerable area of country, and it is easy indeed to find scores of people to speak well of Dr. Graff, both as a physician and as a man.
After having lived a bachelor for a number of years Dr. Graff decided that it was not good for man to live alone and therefore won an estimable woman for his companion. In 1887 the marriage rites were celebrated between himself and Mrs. Cassie E. Messer, nee Bush. This lady was born in Calhoun County, is a daughter of Henry L. Bush and a devout member of St. Mary's Catholic Church. Dr. Graff is a member of Grafton Lodge, No. 341, A. F. & A. M.
Extracted 24 Jan 2017 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, page 277.
|St Charles MO|