FRANCIS M. HARLOW whose biography is here presented, resides on section 7, Carlin Precinct, Calhoun County, and is both prosperous and popular. He devotes his attention to agriculture, fully appreciating the freedom and independence found in farm life. His birth occurred in Pike County, December 7, 1839, he being the son of Martin and Eunice (Lyles) Harlow, natives of Maryland and Iowa respectively. His mother is dead. His paternal ancestors were of English-German origin, and his father removed to Pike County while quite a young man, being one of the pioneers there. While our subject was a boy he moved with his parents to Calhoun County, settling in the neighborhood of what is now known as Bay post-office, on the Mississippi side of the county, and at a later date moved to Carlin Precinct.
Mr. Harlow was reared in Calhoun County, and the remembrances of his youth are fraught with incidents pertaining to the pioneer days of this prosperous State of Illinois. He was forced to undergo the usual hardships attending life in a new country where Nature reigns supreme on every side, and he watched the transformation of the wilderness into fertile and valuable farms. He received practically no educational advantages, except what were afforded by the district schools of Calhoun County at a time when things were as rude as rude could be, and when progress had made short strides in that section of the State of Illinois. He was married in 1866 to Nancy White, daughter of John White, one of the pioneers of Calhoun County and a neighbor of our subject. This marriage was blessed with nine children, eight of whom are living at the present writing: Sarah, wife of Henry Maynard; Elmira, Viola, Eunice, Luanna, Mellie, Emily and Olive. Elizabeth is dead.
Mr. Harlow settled on his present farm in the spring of 1872 and owns two hundred and eighty acres of land. He is truly a self-made man, having achieved both fortune and popularity by his nobility of character and enterprise. He is an Independent in politics, voting in all cases for the man he considers most competent to fill the desired office. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church, of which he has been Deacon for some time. He is a public spirited gentleman who advocated all causes which tend to improve the community in which he resides.
Our subject enlisted in March, 1863, in Company I, Eighteenth Missouri Infantry, and his regiment afterward became part of Sherman's army. He participated in many of the important battles of the Civil War, remaining in service nearly three years. He was wounded at the siege of Atlanta in consequence of which he lost his left arm which was amputated a few inches below the elbow. He receives a pension of $30 per month. He was honorably discharged in July, 1865, and returned immediately to Calhoun County where he has continued to reside up to the present time.
Extracted 23 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, pages 721-722
|St Charles MO|