M. A. KAMP. Calhoun County is the home of many citizens of foreign birth who take as deep an interest in the growth of their adopted country in all that is truly elevating, as if it were the land of their birth. One of this class is the gentleman above named, whose portrait will be noticed on the opposite page and who has been connected with the business life of the county for a number of years and enjoys the confidence of commercial circles to the fullest extent. In 1873 he took up his residence in what was then called Farrowtown, but which was afterward re-christened Kampsville in his honor, the people petitioning for the change of name.
Mr. Kamp is a native of Bavaria, Germany, a son of John and Magdalena Kamp and opened his eyes to the light August 21, 1829. He attained to man's estate in his native country, learning the arts of a barber and surgeon, which he followed for many years. He received a thorough education in the German tongue and has acquired a good knowledge of English since he left his native land. He belonged to the Bavarian Army during the Revolution of 1849.
In 1853 Mr. Kamp bade adieu to the land of his birth, and taking passage at Havre, crossed the broad Atlantic and landed in New Orleans fifty-two days later. He immediately went North to St. Louis, Mo., and there followed surgery and the tonsorial art until the breaking out of the Civil War. He had become thoroughly imbued with the spirit of loyalty to his adopted country and in April, 1861, took his place in Company D, Fourth Missouri Reserve Corps, with which he was out about four months. He was then discharged and subsequently enrolled his name in a Missouri militia regiment, becoming First Lieutenant of Company F, in which capacity he served until he resigned during the year 1863.
The same year Mr. Kamp came to Calhoun County, Ill., settling at Silver Creek Post-office where he carried on the dual occupations of merchant and farmer, meeting with success in both lines of business. A decade later he changed his residence to the town of which he has become a leading citizen and on the Board of which he is now serving as President. He manifests his faith in the resources of this section of the United States by entering into the various movements which will promote the growth of the community in civilization and material prosperity. For twelve years he has served as County Commissioner. He casts his vote with the Republican party.
The wife of Mr. Kamp bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Bullier and the happy union was blest by the birth of six children — William B., John B., Joseph A., Francis N., Katie E. and Alois. The last two named are deceased. By unceasing efforts Mr. Kamp has accumulated a competency and has a pleasant residence, a view of which will be found on another page.
Extracted 13 Feb 2017 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, pages 316-317.
|St Charles MO|