GEORGE W. LONG, one of the extensive landowners of Calhoun County, residing on section 14, Belleview Precinct, has long been known as one of the most prominent and influential citizens of the community. Almost his entire life has been passed here. He was born in Franklin County, Ohio, on the 24th of May. 1846, and is a son of John W. and Leah (Shultz) Long. His father was a native of Ohio, born of Irish and Welsh parentage, but his mother, a native of Lancaster County, Pa., is of German descent. In the spring of 1856, when our subject was a lad of ten summers, the family left their Ohio home and emigrated to Calhoun County, Ill. The father purchased land in Belleview Precinct, the farm now known as the "old Shaw farm," and resided thereon, devoting himself to agricultural pursuits until his death. In early life he was a supporter of Whig principles but joined the Republican party on its organization. He served as the first Treasurer of Township 8, range 4, and was in sympathy with every movement or enterprise calculated to advance the best interests of the community.
The mother of our subject, who still survives, resides on the old home farm with her son Henry, about a mile and a half north of the village of Belleview. Of their family the following children still survive: Lemuel, a resident of this county; Scott, who is living in Pike County; Henry, who makes his home in this county; Flora, wife of Lindsey Mclntire, of Hill County, Tex.; and George W., of this sketch. One son, Charles, was a soldier in the late war, belonging to the Ninety-ninth Illinois Infantry and was killed at the siege of Vicksburg, May 22, 1863.
Our subject was reared to manhood in this county amid the wild scenes of pioneer life and has been an eye-witness of its continued growth and development up to the present date. His early education acquired in the common schools of the neighborhood was supplemented by a partial course in Illinois College at Jacksonville. His studious habits did not forsake him on leaving school, for throughout his entire life he has been a great reader and is now well informed on all the leading issues of the day, both political and otherwise. Since attaining to the years of manhood his life-work has been farming and stock-raising and so successfully has he conducted his business interests that he is now the owner of five hundred and sixty-seven acres of good land, the greater part of which is under cultivation. It is also provided with good buildings and all the improvements necessary to a model farm. He raises good grades of stock which he is constantly improving and this branch of his business is not an unimportant one.
On the 17th of October, 1868, Mr. Long was united in marriage with Miss Mercena E. Jennings, a native of Pike County, Ill., and a daughter of Thomas S. and Mary (Galloway) Jennings, who were early settlers of Pike County. Both parents are now deceased. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Long have been born nine children, but only four of the number are now living, two sons and two daughters: George H., Emma A., Jessie and Grover C.
In political sentiment Mr. Long is a Democrat and on that ticket was elected to the office of County Commissioner in 1872, since which time at different intervals he has twice served in the same position. The duties of his office were ably and faithfully discharged and won him the confidence of the community. He is a lover of music and a member of the Belleview Cornet Band, of which his son, George H., a talented musician, is the leader. Mr. Long is recognized among the prominent and successful agriculturists of Calhoun County and is well known for his hospitality and has a large circle of friends.
The home over which Mrs. Long presides with gracious hospitality is a very pleasant one, whose interior arrangements prove the excellent taste of the capable wife and mother. A view of their residence, with the surroundings which add greatly to the value of the estate, will be found on another page of this volume.
Extracted 16 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, pages 544-547
|St Charles MO|