EDMOND A. PINERO, City Attorney at Hardin, is one of the most talented and prominent members of the bar in Calhoun County. He is a native of the city of New Orleans, where his birth took place May 26, 1838. He is of French descent and is a son of Prosper A. Pinero, who was born in Bayonne, France. The grandparents of our subject were natives and lifelong residents of that country.
The father of our subject was reared in the land of his nativity, and was the only member of his family who ever came to America. In the year 1838 he crossed the waters to this country, and located in New Orleans, where he carried on his occupation as a wig maker. He resided in that city about two years, and then removed to St. Louis which was then a small place. He followed his trade there and made that his home the greater part of the time until his death, which occurred September 4, 1872. He had married in early life Esther Mendes DeCampos, who died in St. Louis October 20, 1860. They reared two children, our subject and a daughter Aline, who married Noah Reavis, a farmer of St. Louis County, Mo.
Edmond A. Pinero passed his boyhood days in St. Louis, and was educated in its public schools. At the age of eighteen years he commenced the study of law with Krum & Harding of St. Louis. He was admitted to the bar in 1860, with fine qualifications for the work before him, and he practiced in St. Louis until the breaking out of the war. In 1863 he took up his residence in this State, settling in Grafton, Jersey County. The most of his life there was passed in various official capacities, he serving as Collector, Overseer and Constable, and he was also President of the City Council.
In 1865 Mr. Pinero formed a partnership with Robert A. King to practice law, which partnership existed until 1867 when he entered into partnership with George W. Herdman, the present Circuit Judge of this circuit, in Jerseyville, and they continued together in that city until 1869, when our subject had to give up his profession awhile on account of ill-health. He returned to Grafton and established a bank with his father-in-law, the Hon. William H. Allen, and continued to manage it successfully until 1873. In that year he went back to St. Louis, and entered into a partnership with W. H. Pogue and resumed the practice of his profession. In 1875 he severed his connection with Mr. Pogue and became associated with Judge A. A. Goodrich, now of Chicago, and was with him one year. At the expiration of that time he once more became a resident of Jerseyville, where he entered into partnership with T. J. Selby and practiced law until 1878, when both went to Nebraska and settled in Tecumseh, where our subject engaged in his profession until 1886. In that year be came back to Illinois and has since resided in Hardin with the exception of a few months. He is one of the leading lawyers of the city, and besides having a good general practice, is City Attorney for Hardin and is the Public Administrator, to which position he was appointed by Gov. Fifer, and has all the business that he can attend to.
Mr. Pinero and Miss Irene A. Allen were married in the month of April, 1865. Mrs. Pinero is a native of Grafton, Jersey County, this State, and a daughter of the well-known Hon. William H. Allen. Her father was a native of New Bedford, Mass., and her mother whose maiden name was Maria Mason, was born in Edwardsville, Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Pinero have a delightful home and are happy in their wedded life. Three children have come to them, Prosper A., Marie Elise, and Edmond A., Jr.
Mr. Pinero possesses a pleasant personality, is a true gentleman, always courteous, cordial and frank, and is warmly regarded by the entire community. He is a Democrat in politics and has mingled much in public life. He was Notary Public in Nebraska, and has also held that office in Missouri and Illinois. In Jerseyville he was City Attorney and City Clerk, and was also Assessor. He is a member of the Calhoun Lodge No. 792 A. F. & A. M.; of Jerseyville Chapter, R. A. M.; and of Mt. Horeb Commandery K. T., of Tecumseh, Neb. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows which he joined in 1870.
Extracted 16 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, pages 460-461
|St Charles MO|