This country is not only greatly indebted to the brave citizen-soldiers who fought so nobly during the late Civil War, but owes them as much for what they have done since that great contest was brought to a close. The subject of this biography is a good representative of these. He is now an important member of the farming community of Calhoun County, and the farm that he occupies in Point Precinct is among the best managed and best appointed in this part of the State. He is dealing largely in thorough-bred stock, being interested at present in Berkshire and Poland-China hogs. He has dealt quite extensively in Short-horn cattle but is turning his attention at present to the Holstein variety, having at the head of his herd a registered bull that was purchased at the St. Louis (Mo.) Fair in 1890 from a premium herd.
Marion Todd was born in Indianapolis, Ind., February 9, 1842. His father, Henry P. Todd, was born in Kentucky and after marriage settled in Indianapolis, where he resided for a time and then bought a farm three miles from the Capital, where he was engaged in farming until death rounded out his life in 1845. His wife, whose maiden name was Sarah McIlvain, also died on the home farm, her death occurring in 1850. She reared five children: Mary J. Porter, her daughter by a former marriage, who married Martin Williams, and is now deceased; Amanda, the wife of Thomas J. Arbuthnot, of Montague County, Tex.; Martha; Marion and Eliza both of whom are deceased.
Our subject was three years old when his father died, and he then went to live with his brother-in-law, Martin Williams, and was reared by him on a farm near Indianapolis, and was still living with him in 1861 when the war broke out. With the enthusiasm of youth, and a patriotic love of his country, he determined to enlist and take part in the great conflict. September 16, 1861, he became a member of Company K, Fifth Ohio Cavalry and served with his regiment until December 3, 1864, in the States of Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama and North Carolina. Nearly all the while he was on detached service generally at headquarters, and displayed fine soldierly qualities, which won him a good military record.
Our subject was honorably discharged with his regiment and in 1865 went to Missouri and joined Mr. Williams. He remained in St. Charles County that State, until 1866, when he came to Calhoun County and in the month of June bought the place where he now resides in Point Precinct. The farm which is one of the most desirable estates in this locality contains two hundred and twenty acres, all under fine improvement and supplied with substantial, well-arranged buildings, among them the residence which is pictured on another page. Mr. Todd has a fine orchard of thirty acres of choice fruit trees which is a good source of income. He also has three acres of small fruit.
February 13, 1867, Mr. Todd and Miss Louisa C. Keller united their lives for better or worse, in what has proved to be a happy marriage. Mrs. Todd was born in Quincy, Ill., and is a daughter of Caryton and Elizabeth Ann (Bach) Keller. Her father was born near Salem, N. C, and her mother in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany. To Mr. and Mrs. Todd have been born seven children, as follows: Elda E., Callie N., Edith M., Caryton B., Louisa E., Portia K. and Irma E., all at home with their parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Todd are counted amongst our best people, as they are generous, warm hearted and kindly in their relations with others and are people of intelligence and high character, and have made their home the center of pleasant hospitality. In politics, Mr. Todd is a stanch Republican. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge in Grafton and the Grand Army Post, in Hardin. His portrait is a fitting addition to this brief outline of his life, and his friends will be pleased to see it in this Album. Mrs. Todd and the three oldest daughters are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, holding membership at Winneberg.
Extracted 08 Dec 2016 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, pages 204-206.
|St Charles MO|