GEORGE A. WILLIAMS, M. D., a prominent and well-known physician of Calhoun County, practicing his profession in the city of Hardin is also a conspicuous figure in the public and political life of this part of Illinois. He is a native-born citizen of this State, Carrollton, Greene County, the place of his birth and July 12, 1841, the date thereof. He is a son of Virginius F. Williams, a native of Petersburg, Va. The paternal grandfather of our subject is thought to have been a native of that State. He was a man of considerable education and going from Virginia to Kentucky was a pioneer teacher in the latter State where he died. His wife, whose maiden name was Davies, was a relative of President Davies, of Princeton College. She was a woman of superior intellect and much culture and was a poetess. The father of our subject has in his possession a book of poems written by her.
Virginius F. Williams was reared in Virginia and was a young man when he went to Kentucky, where he learned the trade of a blacksmith at Hopkinsville. He came from Kentucky to Illinois about 1840 and was a pioneer of Carrollton which at that time was sparsely settled. There were then no railroads in Illinois and Alton was the principal market for some years. Mr. Williams established a smithy at Carrollton and carried on his trade there for about thirty-five years. He came to this county in 1880 and makes his home with his son. Dr. B. H. Williams, in Summit Grove.
Mr. Williams was married in early manhood to Ellen Wood, a native of Madison County, this State and a daughter of Young and Mary Wood, pioneers of that part of Illinois. Her father was a farmer and he was very prominent in public life. He was Sheriff of Madison County when it included Greene and Jersey Counties. He spent his last years in St. Clair County, where he and his wife both fell victims to the cholera. The mother of our subject died in Carrollton in 1873. Her marriage was blessed by the birth of four children, as follows: George A.; Buford H., a physician residing at Summit Grove; Lynn W., now deceased; and Mary A., wife of Dr. J. W. Mason, of Barr's Store, Macoupin County.
Dr. Williams, of this sketch, was reared and educated in Carrollton. He attended Carrollton Academy where he pursued a fine course of study and thus laid a good foundation for his medical education. He commenced to read medicine with Dr. C. Armstrong, of Carrollton, and was under his instruction two years. At the expiration of that time he attended St. Louis Medical College. He subsequently located at Athensville, Greene County, Ill., but did not remain there long, however, going from that place to East Panther Creek, in this county and for one year lived at the residence of John S. Lane. At the expiration of that time he resumed his studies in the St. Louis Medical College, from which he was graduated March 2, 1865. After leaving college he opened an office at Summit Grove where he was in active practice until 1879 when he came to Hardin and has since pursued his vocation here with remarkable success. He has won a fine reputation for skill and knowledge of his profession and stands among the first physicians of the county.
Dr. Williams and Miss Mattie Deen were married July 28, 1872, and they have three children living — Perry B., J. Arthur and Rush Deen. Mrs. Williams is a most estimable lady and understands well the art of making home pleasant and attractive not only to outside friends but to its inmates. She possesses a fine Christian character and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Williams is a native of this county, having been born near Summit Grove and is a daughter of Henry and Eliza J. Deen, pioneers of Calhoun County.
The Doctor is one of the leading politicians of this part of the State, standing high in the councils of the Republicans as Chairman of the Central Committee of Calhoun County and is one of the foremost to advance every enterprise for public improvements He has been Public Administrator of this county, appointed to that office by Gov. Cullom and he has served two terms as a member of the Town Board. His popularity is deserved, as professionally and as a man and a citizen his character is irreproachable and he is kind and considerate in his relations with ail with whom he comes in contact. Socially, he belongs to Hardin Lodge No. 792, A. F. & A. M., and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows also.
Extracted 23 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, pages 770-771
|St Charles MO|