CHARLES LEE WOOD. Perhaps no better representative of the agricultural community of Hamburg Precinct, Calhoun County, can be found than the subject of this biographical notice, and it may be doubted if the entire county contains a more public-spirited, intelligent and efficient farmer and stock-raiser. Mr. Wood is pleasantly located on section 1, having a good estate of two hundred acres of land, which contains some rather unusual features. In common with other first-class farmers he keeps stock of good grades, among them being Poland-China hogs and Jersey cattle. The improvements which he has made upon his land include many conveniences and all necessary buildings. Seventeen acres are devoted to the growth of apple trees, the varieties included in the orchard being Ben Davis, Roman Beauty, Willow Twig, Huntsman's Favorite, Missouri Pippin and Maiden Blush. This orchard is one of the most attractive features in the landscape, and Mr. Wood finds both pleasure and profit in it.
The parents of our subject were Jonathan and Anna (Schooley) Wood, the father a native of Pennsylvania, and the mother probably of New Jersey. They were early settlers in Madison County, Ill., their home for many years being in Alton, where Mr. Wood carried on his trade of a cooper. He died when our subject, the only son, was about four years of age. The widow with her family subsequently came to Calhoun County, making her home in Hamburg, where she breathed her last in June, 1858. She was a member of the Baptist Church and carefully instilled the principles of right living into the minds of her offspring.
The natal day of the gentleman of whom we write, was August 24, 1849, and his birthplace Madison County. Most of the years of his boyhood and youth were passed on a farm, and he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits since he was old enough to bear a part therein. He attended the early public schools of the county, and had not the advantages afforded young men at the present time, but being desirous of keeping himself well informed, he has made good use of the means afforded by the public press to extend his knowledge.
In 1874 Mr. Wood settled on his present farm, and set up a home of his own, being married in November, to Miss Mary E. Swarnes. This good woman shared his joys and sorrows until May 24, 1881, when she was called hence. She was the mother of four children, but the only one now living is Anna. Charles, Alma, and an infant are deceased. Mr. Wood was again married October 28, 1883, having won for his companion Mellie A. Hooker. This lady was born in Jackson County, Mich., her parents being William and Harriett (Rexford) Lane, under whose careful training she acquired an excellent knowledge of those attainments which would lit her for the duties of wife and mother, and make her a useful member of society. She is a consistent member of the Baptist Church, while her step-daughter, Anna Wood, belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The enterprises which are promulgated to advance the interests of the citizens in this part of our great commonwealth find a friend and supporter in Mr. Wood. In politics he is a Republican. He is identified with the Masonic fraternity at Hardin. As a School Director he has endeavored to advance the cause of education, and his services were creditable to himself, and useful to the community. The entire family occupy leading positions in the social circles of this section, and have a large number of friends who are most hospitably entertained under the roof of Mr. Wood, and are equally anxious to entertain the family in their own homes.
Extracted 16 Mar 2017 by Norma Hass from Portrait and Biographical Album of Pike and Calhoun Counties, Illinois, published in 1891, pages 350-351.
|St Charles MO|