Organized 1897, by J. M. Bovee; present membership, 60; value of
property, $800; Bible school began 1900; present enrollment, 75.
This congregation was the result of a meeting conducted by Mr. Bovee in the West Panther Creek Schoolhouse. The use of an organ and the beginning of a Sunday school led to a division of the church. Those withdrawing put up a chapel within a stone's-throw of the other house. Then they challenged Mr. Bovee to publicly debate the "organ question." He complied.
Organized 1856, by J. W. Greer and James Burbridge; present membership, 123; Bible school enrollment, 100. George and Richard Williams are preachers here.
Present membership, 60.
A small, ultra-conservative congregation, with little influence for good.
Extracted 03 Feb 2019 by Norma Hass from History of the Disciples of Christ in Illinois 1819-1914, by Nathaniel S. Haynes, published in 1915, pages 123-124.
|St Charles MO|